Re: more on gtkfilesel...

-> Just some thoughts:

	PLEASE move all discussions relating to a new file selector to
gtkfilesel-devel@lists.sourceforge.net.

	Go to

	If you need help, but stop spamming gtk-devel with all these
widget-specific details.

-> * The new gtkfilesel should be backwards-compatible with the old one,
-> only with a new and more useful layout.

	The File Selector is a combo widget.  That means a new layout will
be comprised of new child widgets, and any software which previously
accessed the old child widgets will be broken if the new widget doesn't
have a child widget of the same name and type and functionality.

	Fact is, the new widget will almost certainly not be fully
backwards-compatible for that reason.  But the API can remain the same.

-> * Please, remove the ./ and ../ directories in the directory listing.
-> They are just confusing. Put some buttons instead.

	Agreed.

-> * The mounted devices should be reflected some way in the directory
-> listing through some kind of icon. For example, would it be much
-> difficult to scan /etc/mtab or so when displaying the directory tree, so
-> that, for example, the icon for /mnt/cdrom displays a little cdrom. I
-> think this helps a lot.

	An interesting idea.  We'll need to try it out.

-> * A list of mounted devices could be added to the gtk file selection
-> widget. Just scan /etc/mtab or so, and put the devices in the list with
-> their corresponding icon, so the user can click on this list to quickly
-> select the device and go to the directory where the device is mounted.

	This is already planned...

-> * I prefer a IE list of matching filenames instead of the tab
-> completetion. It's more intuitive for newbies.

	Possibly, although I've always found it annoying.  We'll just need
to survey people for their opinions once prototypes are working.

	The biggest problem I'm having is determining the icon to use for
a particular file type.  Right now, I think I'm going to scan the Gnome
mime file (which can specify certain icons for certain mime types), then
fall back to built-in (Gnomish-looking) icons.  That way, there will be
consistency within a Gnome desktop, but Gnome will not be required at all.
I may check KDE first, too, if they have something like Gnome's mime list.

	Please do NOT cc: replies to gtk-devel-list.  I have cc:'d the
gtkfilesel-devel list, so if you want to continue this thread reply to
THAT list's copy of the message.

Thanks,
Derek