Re: more on gtkfilesel...

On our project to fix the filesel
(mailing list is at gtkfilesel-devel@lists.sourceforge.net), we're
thinking much the same things.  I must say, though, I disagree with the
icons, at least for the moment.  In the interest of simplicity, I think
we'll be sticking with plain text.  Icons have their place more in
gnome.  We're just making a functional, yet quick and dirty widget.  Also,
I think using an icon to specify mounts as you suggest is not
cross-platform compatible.  (Althought maybe the original widget didn't
work on windows that well either.)

I disagree about tab completion also.  In fact I've never found IE to be
that intuitive, at least when it comes to selecting files.  Maybe the good
old unix way is still best.  I dunno.  The way tab completion in gtk works
is really quite cool actually, although you'd have to leave the keyboard
to select on of the possibilities if tab gave you three possible
completions.  Lot's of possibilities.  The Gnome people should check them
all out and see what's best.  I'm thinking there might be a way to combine
the way ie does it with tab completion.

anyway, food for thought.
Michael