Re: File Dialog (Last One!)

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> -> 	Would it be possible to add a modified TAB completion
> -> feature?  This could be done in two ways:
>
> 	It's time to move this discussion off gtk-devel.  Please subscribe
> to the list mentioned in the last message of this thread.
>
> 	I will be subscribing on Monday.

 I'm just writing here since this thread seems finished and won't be continued
on other list.

> -> 	1) While typing, the file list reflects only the matched
> -> files.  So after typing the letters "ran" you would only see files with
> -> names like "random_notes.txt", "ranFromMyParents.doc", "ransom.c",
> -> etc.  This would update as you type.
>
> 	This would cause a great deal of flashing in the list, confusing
> users.  Bad Idea.

  This can be great for powerusers and users that know about the
existance of such functionality. To satisfy newbie users and power users we
can introduce a special mode in which such behaviour is the default. That mode
could be activated by pressing some checkbox in the filesel dialog (better
with accel). So, both current and proposed functionalities can coexist.

> -> 	2) Something more like IE's URL entry widget.  As you type, it
> -> adjusts a drop down list in a similar way, and "suggests" possibilities
> -> which you press a key to accept.  (say...  TAB?)

 If the mode described above is in effect, the list to the right will
automatically contain all entries that drop down list will have (and also
directories in the list to the left). All we need is to add accelerators for
"file-list::grab_focus" signal (i.e., by pressing
it, focus will be grabbed by the filelist to the right). Also, another accel
is needed to allow jumping back into entry in which filename is being typed.

> 	I like this idea.  We need to think these things through.  I
> already see that I need to defend a "New Directory" and "Rename File"
> button in the widget.  I suggest all interested parties read this month's
> Gnome-UI archive, it has some good threads on this.
>
> 	Remember, don't reply to this list.  See you guys Monday.

 Sorry - just considered it's better to reply here.

> --Derek

 Best regards,
  -Vlad