re: File Dialog

Hey Havoc, Derek and company :)

A friend and my self have been working on a replacement gtkfilesel dialog.
We actually have a fully working TOTALLY 100% (as far as we know) compatible
dialog that works/looks MUCH MUCH better than what's currently used in gtk.
We where doing this with hope, that after we have something that works...
maybe the dialog could get integrated into gtk before the 1.3 tree goes into
feature freeze. We wanted to wait until we have a working redesign.

Well, we now have a fully working (although still has some bugs) dialog.

The new dialog has a MUCH improved look (although a few more changes are
planed, an example would be a mac style tree list, and an icon view.) The
dialog only depends on gtk.. so it works very well as replacement.

We would really appreciate additional developers, especially if the dialog
is to become part of the gtk tree.

For your viewing pleasure, a screenshot is attached :)
The top dialog is from xmms, and the bottom dialog is from gimp.. The
standard dialog is not all that much different (just remove the custom
stuff)

the project is registered on sourceforge and the project name is gtkfilesel
(advanced-gtkfilesel  is the long desc)

We haven't actually started USING any of the features of sourceforge yet..
but are in the process of doing so.

Also, how about a partial feature list? :)

o Redesigned look
o Right click context menu (you can now right click/rename .. for example)
o Bookmarks
o improved keyboard navigation (still work in progress)
o File masks!!! (its pretty cool to go into the gtk source tree, and tell
the dialog to only view source/header files... :)
o Some things I probably forgot (grin)

Some features we plan on adding:
o Ability to view directory structure in a mac style finder view
o Same but with a windows style file view..

Please note, ANY of the features could change.. Especially if something
needs to be changed in order to be accepted into the gtk source tree :)

We also have a few ideas that would brake the api a little... But I will
touch more on that latter.

Anyways, I Really got to go home..

you guys are MORE than welcome to move this discussion to the gtkfilesel
discussion list :)