Re: File Dialog

Derek Simkowiak writes:
 > 1) I've just started working on a new one

If you do, please from the beginning take into consideration the
difference between the UTF-8 that GTK uses, and the charset that the
user file names might be in. (In Europe, I would say it is quite
common that users have file names in some ISO-8859-x charset. I don't
know what the common charset/encoding for pathnames on Unix systems in
Japan is, EUC-JP? Anyway, not UTF-8.) Be sure to keep track of which
strings are in which charset, and convert back and forth as necessary
(with g_filename_{to,from}_utf8).

Yes, I know that the Right Thing (from a Unicode-evangelist point of
view) would be to just use UTF-8 everywhere, also for file and
directory names. But GTK developers can't start demanding that all
installations start a massive renaming operation, can we?

--tml