Re: [Fwd: Re: [gtk-list] ANNOUNCE: GTK+ 1.2.5pre1 (please test)]

Mikael Hermansson <mikeh@bahnhof.se> writes:

> On 4 Sep 1999, Owen Taylor wrote:
>

> > Mikael Hermansson <mikeh@bahnhof.se> writes:
> >
> > > No it's not ready for release...
> > >
> > > I have downloaded from anonymous CVS tonight and its says its 1.2.5.
> > > So probadly the CVS is uptodate but GTK 1.2.5 is heavy broken on my
> > > system.
> > >
> > > First lots of applications will not show menus/toolbars/listboxes
> > > anything.... If I resize the window the expose event is sent and it
> > > shows widgets correctly, but sometimes not...
> > >
> > > * If I click on the menubar only a blank box without menuitems will
> > > showup...
> >
> > OK, none of us have seen this:
> >
> >  - What operating system are you using?
> >  - Is there anything special about your box? (particularly slow?
> >    particularly fast? running over a remote connection?)
> >  - If these are GNOME apps, what version of gnome-libs are
> >    you using?
>

> Gnome-libs 1.0.16 on a RedHat 5.0(GLIBC 2.0.7) Linux box.
> everything is installed as .tar.gz or from cvs...
>
> Running on a AMD300

Hmmm,

That's reasonably normal in all respects; though not a very
reproducible configuration.

Just to make sure we are debugging the right thing, could you
make sure:

 1) You actually installed the new version of GTK+. (I've
    made that mistake a few times. With glibc-2.0, testing
    in place doesn't work)

 2) (using ldd) Your apps are linking against the copy of
    GTK+ that you've just installed.

Beyond that - the lack of drawing on resizes should be the
easier thing to debug if you are interested in going in with
a debugger. When the user resizes a window, the

 if (window->handling_resizes)

branch of gtk_window_move_resize() will be called eventually.
That queues a draw, and will result in gtk_window_draw() being
called, which does the actual redrawing.