bug in gtk_widget_show_all or bug in my understanding

I build a window full of all sorts of stuff.
At the end i gtk_widget_show_all (thewindow);

  menu = gtk_menu_new ();

      menu_item = gtk_menu_item_new_with_label ("HTML");
    /* gtk_widget_show (menu_item);  */
    gtk_signal_connect (GTK_OBJECT (menu_item),
			"select",
			GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC (fileio_type_change),(gpointer) 2);
    gtk_menu_append (GTK_MENU(menu), menu_item);

  type_button = gtk_option_menu_new ();
  gtk_option_menu_set_menu (GTK_OPTION_MENU (type_button), menu);
  type_hbox = gtk_hbox_new (FALSE, 5);

Note that the gtk_widget_show is commented out.  The menu shows, but
with no text displayed. If I open up the menu,
the words are there, but they won't display at the top of the menu.

  If I remove the /* */ then everything works fine.

Question:  why doesn't the show_all pick up this menu?

+ Bob Lissner           +
+ Lifestyle Homes, Inc. +
+ www.quicklist.org     +