Re: Proposal: Addition of a random number generator to GLib

Quoting Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com):
> On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Josh MacDonald wrote:
> > Quoting Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com):
> > > Otherwise looks good.  This will nicely complement the checksum module I
> > > would like to add to Glib, for security work and authentication
> > > especially.
>
> > If people are interested I can add SHA-1 and MD5 into glib right away.
>
> I am interested in developing a checksum API, much like the random
> number API being proposed.  The user can pick SHA, MD5, polynomial
> hash, or a user-provided routine.  And there are functions that require
> a GChecksum structure to maintain state, and other functions that
> directly create/update the checksum w/o requiring state variables.
> Attached is the MD5 impl I was looking into, which benchmarks faster
> than the reference code.

I think you should then consider looking at the interfaces in openssl.
Checksum interfaces are pretty standard, there's not much thinking that
needs to be done.  We can add CRC as well, for a polynomial hash.

-josh