Re: Proposal: Addition of a random number generator to GLib

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Josh MacDonald wrote:
> Quoting Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com):
> > Otherwise looks good.  This will nicely complement the checksum module I
> > would like to add to Glib, for security work and authentication
> > especially.

> If people are interested I can add SHA-1 and MD5 into glib right away.

I am interested in developing a checksum API, much like the random
number API being proposed.  The user can pick SHA, MD5, polynomial
hash, or a user-provided routine.  And there are functions that require
a GChecksum structure to maintain state, and other functions that
directly create/update the checksum w/o requiring state variables.
Attached is the MD5 impl I was looking into, which benchmarks faster
than the reference code.

	Jeff

md5-opt.tar.bz2