Re: Plans for 1.3/1.4

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 05:38:13PM -0600, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Gtk also has built-in "please make an inconsistent UI" features, like
> gtk_ctree_set_expander_style().
>
> It is my impression that this is a Gtk design decision, that it is
> following the X "don't impose policy" route. So from that point of view if
> you want a consistent UI you should be using Gnome. Gtk is a lower-level
> library which maintains more flexibility, lighter weight, and perhaps
> window-system independence. (And it is also a good bit more mature,
> cleaner, and less "hacky" than gnome-libs, though that is probably
> an unrelated issue.)

Actually, I find it funny that some GNOME advocates think GTK+ isn't
suitable for writing applications.  And yet, GIMP is still the best
and most widely used GTK+ application.  ;-)

In any case, it's not like there are any conflicting goals.  We want
a widget which will have decent defaults for GTK+ apps and also allow
GNOME to customize it.  Amazingly, those don't actually conflict at
all.

--
Shawn T. Amundson
amundson@gimp.org               http://www.gimp.org/~amundson

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking