Porting gdk to curses

Hi!

What I'm trying to do? Well, I'm trying to port gdk to curses. Along
with right theme (called cursed :-), which uses characters to draw
buttons, checkboxes, etc, it should be possible to have working gtk
applications on text console. (So on one sunny day, I'll able to type
mozilla on wyse-370 terminal and actually have some pages displayed).

First of all: Is there any similar project already going on?

I already did parts of task: I have half-working cursed theme, which
misplaces characters a bit but generaly works. Theme is the easy
part.

Porting gdk to curses is the hard one. Even here, I've got something
working, but I still can not see how hard task is going to be. (I'm in
state where testgtk's main screen somehow prints, with few buttons
over each other and with arrow keys moving right - if you only touch
visible parts).

I'm not sure how much of X functionality I'll have to emulate. Just
now, I don't send any exposure events (is there some easy way out like
telling everyone to redraw?). I do not have windowing system working
(there's probably no way how to avoid this one). Is it possible to get
away without region support?
								Pavel
PS: Last question: Is there some better replacement for curses? Curses
are really cursed library, which likes to segfault at first sign of
error. ALso text-mode windowing library would be good, and only one I
know of (panels) is really strange beast :-(.
--
The best software in life is free (not shareware)!		Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+