Re: Plans for 1.3/1.4

On Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 03:16:59PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > > Along those lines, what are people thinking about Glib 1.3 changes?
> > >
> > > I am interested in adding some ADTs, and already have a little bit of
> > > code, stack and queue ADTs, in the GLIB_1_3_HACKS branch.  Below are
> > > rough notes on my ideas.
> > >
> > > Comments and suggestions on the APIs of these new ADTs would be greatly
> > > appreciated.
> >
> > how about a regex implementation ... it would be nice to have a portable and
> > easy to use regex api in glib ... it doesn't have to be extremely
> > sophisticated ... Ian already made some api and I think there was another one
> > as well ...
>
> What do you think about pcre?
>
> ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/pcre/
>
> If pcre fits the bill, it may be better to link with it directly
> than include it into Glib.  From freshmeat:
>
> "PCRE implements a regular expression matching engine that's compatible
>  with Perl 5.004's syntax. It can be used to add regular expression
>  support to stand-alone applications without either embedding an entire
>  Perl interpreter in the application, or settling for the more limited
>  regular expressions included in libc."
>
> 	Jeff

pcre is being used by the implementation being done by Scott Wimer.  He
figures he should have something to look at in a week or two.

You can take a look at the header at:

http://dev.cgibuilder.com/scottw/code/g_regex/

He's looking for feedback, so if you have an suggestions/comments, you can
email him at scottw@cgibuilder.com.  He's also on #gimp.. usually as happybob.
(I already spoke to him about the naming conventions in glib).

I had written one earlier that uses regex.h.  You can see that one at:

http://www.netidea.com/imain/gregex/

It's a very simple interface, and I think that Scott's is a better balance
between ease of use and utility (and he's going to base it around pcre).

Ian