Reduce the size of a GtkScale indicator

Hey there,

I'm working on some code the uses a bunch of GtkScale's, but unfortunately the indicator (the thing you grab with the mouse) is way too large.

I'd rather not break the user's theme but still provide a smaller indicator to save vertical space. So how do I go about this? Are there CSS properties to set this, or do I provide my own image for the indicator (breaking the user's theme)?

I've looked at the Gtk3 docs and googled for setting the indicator size, but did not come up with a satisfying answer.

(I should probably also note this application is supposed to run on Linux, BSD, MacOS and Windows)

Any hints?

--Compyx