Re: Help with Gcolor3

On 25 October 2017 at 12:50, Listings - www.majors-welt.net
<listing majors-welt net> wrote:

You probably want to start with a compositor-specific API, like the
way screenshot and screen recording is performed in GNOME; if you want
more Wayland compositors to follow the same protocol, you will have to
draft the specification and discuss it on wayland-devel in order to
get buy in from all the developers of Wayland compositors out there.

Where is a documentation about it?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Documentation about what, precisely?

I'm also not sure as a user... something about "a compositor-specific API,
like the way screenshot and screen recording is performed in GNOME"

You can look at the DBus API provided by GNOME for taking screenshots:

  https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/tree/data/org.gnome.Shell.Screenshot.xml

and for taking screencasts:

  https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/tree/data/org.gnome.Shell.Screencast.xml

A "pick a color" interface would probably look something like this:

  org.gnome.Shell.ColorPicker
  - pick() → (success: boolean, color: ai)

where the `pick()` method would tell the compositor to initiate the
selection of the color. The `color` return value would contain an
array of 3 integers, with the values of the RGB channels. As you can
see, there is no leakage of information on the application or content,
and since the compositor is responsible for the user interaction, the
application would never be able to call this method multiple times
behind the user's back.

You would need to talk to the GNOME Shell developers for implementing
this functionality; you'd have to start by opening a bug:

  https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gnome-shell

Then, once it's available, you'd have to call it from GColor3.

Alternatively, you'd have to talk to the Wayland developers and
various compositor developers, and describe a Wayland protocol to
achieve the same result.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--