Re: textview widget selection buffer_select_range is cleared when dialog closes (intermittently?)

On 02/22/2017 08:24 AM, Norbert de Jonge wrote:
I can't help you, but after seeing some of your functions I'm
wondering... Setting the search direction (backwards, forwards),
setting/toggling case sensitivity (yes, no), and moving the selection
to whatever matches next; these are functionalities programmers want to
provide users, and that GTK+ could probably deliver with readily
available functions.

Norbert,

  Thanks for the reply. I have gtk+2 and gtk+3 installed as well as lib
libgtksourceview-2 and libgtksourceview-3. When looking for functionality, I
go though all and draw from what will most closely fit the bill.
Fortunately/unfortunately much of the implementation is left to the programmer
regardless of the version used. While using gtksourceview provides a native
case in-sensitive search, none of the versions provides specific functions for
limiting the search range and direction beyond the basic iter_forward_search
iter_backward_search, etc...

  This question however is unrelated to the choice or version of the toolkit
used, it's more general in how to prevent closing of a modal dialog, and the
associated change in window focus, etc.., from interfering with a highlighted
set of words set with select_range immediately after the dialog closes.

  It may come down to "How do I confirm that a dialog is fully closed (e.g.
the widget fully destroyed) before setting the selection to insure there is no
possibility of changing focus undoing the selection?  I'll keep looking.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.