Re: textview widget selection buffer_select_range is cleared when dialog closes (intermittently?)

  I have a textview widget being used in an editor where an
incremental search is performed. [...]

I can't help you, but after seeing some of your functions I'm
wondering... Setting the search direction (backwards, forwards),
setting/toggling case sensitivity (yes, no), and moving the selection
to whatever matches next; these are functionalities programmers want to
provide users, and that GTK+ could probably deliver with readily
available functions.

This reminds me of what I wrote in the last paragraph:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2017-February/msg00014.html

To get case insensitivity search for a tree view in single
selection mode I recently had to create a custom
gtk_tree_view_set_search_equal_func(). I used g_strrstr() on the
g_utf8_strdown()'ed key and gtk_tree_model_get()-obtained iter. I then
noticed that pressing Enter did not move to the next match. That was
very recent, your "Hope this can help someone else." mail arrived just
after that. :)

Best regards,
Norbert