GTK menus on Ubuntu

I'm wondering if anyone knows the machanism whereby Ubuntu "commandeers" the main menu system of a GTK application and sticks it into the global top-of-screen menu bar, or combines it with the application-window title bar? I'm talking about a "traditional", non-CSD GTK application, where the "natural" location for the main menu system is at the top of the program's window but underneath the window's title bar as added by a WM.

Reason I'm asking is that I notice my GTK application is broken on current Ubuntu (and on no other platform). The program includes code to desensitize menu items that shouldn't be accessible given the current program state. (If these menus are somehow accessed the program is likely to crash.) In general this works fine, but the Ubuntu-mangled menus don't respond to the desensitizing code (that is, calls to gtk_action_set_sensitive). So I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to protect my menus from mangling -- or failing that, to frame a well-informed bug report to Ubuntu.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics