Re[2]: argv revisited

Your problem about using UTF16 is related to the fact you are using
windows os and not linux or unix or macos x.  All the others use utf-8
EXCEPT WINDOWS.

Isn't that what I was saying? It is horrid that Microsoft uses UTF-16 because,
just like their software, it bloats everything to twice the size it would be
otherwise, and it isn't backwards compatible with ASCII. UTF-8 is the future,
I just hope someone makes it the standard before Microsoft tries to monopolize
the UNICODE world with the insanely stupid UTF-16 standard. It is one of the
reasons I choose to use GoAsm because GoAsm is truly UTF-8 compliant, meaning
even if my code is written in UTF-8, it will still compile with no problem.

There are functions to convert to and from whatever
strings you need.  Look up internationalization stuff, texttools. UTF16
is akin to what windows calls wchar(wide char) by the way.  That should
nudge you in the right direction for that.

I could find functions that worked for the command line, but I couldn't find
any that worked for the filechooser, and when I go online and do a search,
there are no examples for what I want to do. The GNOME forum answered my
UNICODE question for the command line issue, but didn't answer the part about
filechooser, and then they had the nerve to close out my bug report, which I
thought was very rude.

Also, I am kind of leery about having long filenames in Windows, and although
I didn't see a problem with it, I have seen lots of Linux programs that would
not work if certain file name paths contained any spaces. I am just not
getting any good feelings with GTK, which is sad, because it is the only
toolkit I know of that has a working add_from_file function.

There are other GUI toolkits that claim to work with Windows and Linux UNICODE
file names, and they are very well documented. Nano-X, AntTweakBar, Allegro,
CEGUI, and Qt all seem to be okay in this regards, although I still haven't
tested them thoroughly yet to make sure they really do what they say they can
do. I am about to find out.

Also be careful what functions you use in window to debug print your
strings.
i.e. wprintf != printf.
use wprintf with wchar string
use printf with ascii strings
etc...

Thanks for the tip. I'm trying to avoid any Windows functions, even debug ones
but if I have no choice, I will keep that in mind.