How to confirm a memory leak

I'd like to understand how to confirm a potential memory leak in gtk3. Valgrind shows a definite leak, and "top" shows a steadily increasing resident set size (RES). However, as I have come to understand, due to how gtk/glib uses slices for memory management, and how the main loop of gtk plays a part, things are not as straightforward as I have just outlined. Is there a definitive guide, "How to confirm a memory leak in GTK"? I have only seen various relevant pages on the net.