Re: Place window at bottom left

Hi;

On 4 January 2016 at 23:25, rastersoft <raster rastersoft com> wrote:
Hi all:

I want to place a window at the bottom-left part of the screen. The
first idea is to get the screen resolution and substract the window
size; unfortunately, desktops can have taskbars, so the desktop size is
always smaller than the physical resolution.

How can I do that? How can I get the desktop size, after removing the
space used by taskbars?

This function may be what you want:

https://developer.gnome.org/gdk3/stable/GdkScreen.html#gdk-screen-get-monitor-workarea

As it gives the usable work area, as provided by the current window
manager. You can combine that information with the monitor's geometry
to get an idea of how the displays are sized and physically laid out,
and what kind of available space you have.

On the other hand, you have to realize that absolute positioning of
windows is not something that is supported (or supportable) in every
windowing system; for instance, on X11 the window manager has the
final say on where a client window is going to be positioned, and
there is nothing that a toolkit nor an app developer can do to change
that. In Wayland, instead, absolute positioning of windows relative to
screen coordinates is impossible by design, as it has to include
things like output and input transformations, as well as ensuring that
applications are self-contained and cannot inspect the contents and
geometry of the windows on the display.

The only component that can reliably position windows in specific
locations is the window manager/compositor/display server.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io