Re[2]: Re[2]: argv

Hi Errol,

Yes, theoretically it should not matter if I use 32-bit or 64-bit libraries,
but maybe, just maybe, the 32-bit version does have a bug the 64-bit version
doesn't -- or is that physically impossible to ever happen?

Yes, GNU ASM (or GAS or GNU AS) uses the AT&T syntax, which is basically
designed to be unreadable because GAS was made to be parsable by a C compiler
and not made to be readable by assembly language programmers or engineers
familiar with desktop microprocessor manuals.

Yes, since GCC conforms to the _cdecl calling convention, that is why I knew
exactly where to look for argc and argv on the stack, and that is why there
can never be a "problem of calling convention" with GCC since there is only
one calling convention -- well actually, the programmer can also use _fastcall
or _thiscall elsewhere in the program, except with main().

Yes, pretty much everyone will not be familiar with GTK from an assembly
language point of view, so why is everyone giving advice on something they
know nothing about? They cannot truly understand calling conventions unless
they know assembly, because that is what calling convention are defined with.
They cannot understand why ***argv is the same as *argv[], yet they want to
tell me how this works and where I can get an education on something they know
nothing about?

do not include the personal e-mail address of others in the mailing list

Noted. I apologize for that.

Your original posting was fairly terse which lead to others assuming
that you did not know much on the subject. To many it looks like you
had only got to the parsing the augments stage and no further :-/ .

All they had to do was ask. Communication is thee number one problem of all
corporations and other businesses, so maybe everyone should make it a policy
to repeat back what you think something said, rather than assume you
understood what they heard?

Back to your original problem :-) You may have done this already. Have
you tried making a test application using the libraries you are using
in C, C++ or D. You will need to make sure that you are using the same
memory model etc..... as your assembly. All this needs to do is get the
command line arguments, print them to the terminal (or where ever you
want) and then display a dialog window where you click on a button to
exit. This would make sure that you have GTK compiled in, test that you
can get the arguments and see what code is actually generated for the
GUI application.

Yes, I have a test program and it is the one I am debugging, and no, it won't
work. What I was hoping for was outside verification of this issue, and was
one of the (hidden) reasons I came here. Is this just a problem with my
environment or have a found a bug? Who knows?