Re: Gtk+3 application Internationalization

Hi;

On 14 April 2016 at 08:30, Ondrej Tuma <konference webjet cz> wrote:

because Stock Items are deprecated from Gtk+3.10, what can I use, if I
want to use gtk locales in my Application.

Use your own (localized) string.

Better yet, use readable strings that rely on the context of the
operation, instead of just random words that the tool kit itself has
no way to adapt to your case.

I don't know, if I understand it well, that I must translate all
strings in my application (copy from Stock Items) one more time to all
languages just like Gtk if I want to use them ?

It's hardly going to be an issue.

Where is benefits of this, sorry, stupid decision.

Why do you apologize while simultaneously insulting the judgement of
the people that maintain this project, then? You could have avoided
saying "stupid" and it would have been fine.

When i use Stock
Items, i have my application base translated to all languages which Gtk
have. How can i do that without Stock Items ? I hope, that I had missed
something. Please tell me what.

You missed the fact that the tool kit cannot write anything more
complicated that simple words, and that it cannot handle conflicts of
mnemonics for you in multiple languages. If you use the stock string
for "_Save" and you have another UI element for "_Suspend", GTK cannot
know which mnemonic is going to be the right one when you press Alt+S;
now expand that potential for collisions to all languages and all
strings. It's untenable, and unmaintainable, and one of the reasons
why stock strings were deprecated.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--