Re: Installation of pygobject with gtk on windows.

Hello Nicolas,
I'm writing a small application for name generation, that I want to share with various people.
Unfortunately, a lot of said people are not passionate GNU/Linux user as I am, and so porting the application
for windows is important.  I am not a main windows developer.  I didn't use C to write the app and I already
have a small prototype in python3 that works under Gnu/Linux using PyGObject for Gtk3.  I now want to,
firstly, have a decent installation of PyGObject and Gtk on windows so the program run and, secondly, be able
to build an installer bundling the python and gnome dependencies to run standalone on windows.

I'm already stuck at that first step.  After many failures, I reinstall python3 with the official install and with pip.
 Since pip show PyGObject to be of version 2-28-3 when downloading it, which seems  waaay outdated, I tried to pick a
more official installer from this sourceforge page : http://sourceforge.net/projects/pygobjectwin32/files/.  The
installer fails to recognize a key in the registry and suggest to find the installation path from %PATH%.  It does find
the correct installation directory "C:\Python-35\Lib\site-packages".  I select the base package, Gtk, Glade
and the documentation browser to be installed.  The installer finishes successfully.  Glade and devhelp run without
problem, however I cannot load pygobject in python itself.

     >>> from gi.repository import Gtk
     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
     ImportError: No module named 'gi'

The folder site-packages, only lists a folder "gnome" (besides pip, setuptools, easy_install and pkg_resources).  Importing
package "gnome" yield an empty package.  Am I missing a step?  What should I do for being able to import "gi" under
windows?

Python developers concerned with windows, please help me!  I thank you already!
We have the same sort of configuration issues for the Gramps genealogy program. I'm a developer for that, but I only work on Linux myself. We have a fellow developer who works on the Windows version though, for which we have an all-in-one installer that was initially created by another developer.

For Gramps, we have separate installers for 32 and 64 bit Windows versions, and you may need the same, although I think that for a simple application 32 bit will be enough.

Anyway, if you are interested, you may ask for advice on the Gramps developers list:

http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/

You can also look at the mail history on that list, and see old discussion about this.

regards,

Enno