Widgets not updating until you move the cursor

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed peculiar behaviour with Gtk 3
generally with respect to updates only happening after the cursor is
moved? I've seen it a lot in my applications but also in stock apps such
as Evolution and Rhythmbox -  the most obvious example is in the shuffle
option of Rhythmbox where rows in the play-queue only update as the
cursor passes over them.

It's been bugging me for a while so I thought I would ask.

Cheers and best wishes for the new year!