Re: Understanding accelerators.

On 10/07/2014 09:18 AM, Gergely Polonkai wrote:
Mnemonics are discouraged by the HIG, and AFAIK they are not displayed by recent
GTK versions.

 From the user's perspective, I think there is no difference. However, if you
are using GApplication/GtkApplication, it is easier to register accels, and you
can even make them easily customizable for the users. I'm yet to find a good
example on the Interwebs, but if you take a look at GNOME 3.14 apps, you will
find some for sure.

It's quite humorous that no one responds to most queries on this list, but as soon as I do there are a handful of replies to point out how I'm wrong.

Mnemonics are not displayed by default, yes, as that's a stylistic preference of the theme you use and not a GTK default. Discouraged? This is news to me. I just ran through a handful of GNOME apps and they all use mnemonics. In fact... the GNOME HIG page *encourages* to "make shortcut keys as mnemonic as possible"[1].

Menu and mnemonic accelerators do have differences. The former can be assigned to any key combination. The later only apply to the ALT key.

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/keyboard-input.html.en