Drawing bit mapped image in drawing area

I have a bit mapped image (really a video frame) that I want to display. I
am guessing that putting it into a user drawing box would be the way to go.
If there is a better way, please point me in that direction.

More detail:

The image is a captured video frame that can be in one of several formats
(eg, yuv420, rgb8/24/32, jpeg/mjpeg). That is, I can provide it in any of
those formats. It is in memory - not a file. And it would need be updated
periodically, and quickly. I also want to be able to draw on, or add text
to, it.

I know how to draw on this area, and write text. But I couldn't find any
references to "blitting" the image into the box. In particular, what pixel
format would be needed by the drawing area, or if that format could be set
somehow.

TIA

ken