Re: Redistribution of GTK DLLs

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Lucas Levrel <llevrel yahoo fr> wrote:
Le 5 mars 2014, Chris Angelico a écrit :

The sources to all of GTK? I don't know, I haven't looked; but since
I'm not actually compiling GTK myself, I'd need to figure out exactly
what sources are actually necessary.

E. g. GTK+ 2.24 is only 13 MB (compressed), here:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gtk+/2.24/

There you also find links to dependencies (GLib, Gdk, etc.):
http://www.gtk.org/download/linux.php

I guess you'd just pick the version number matching the DLLs you use.

After much to-ing and fro-ing, I've settled - for the nonce, at least
- on this proposed technique:

1) My script will have a one-command action which will, after
confirmation, download eighteen separate DLLs from my web site. (Not
as a zip file, because I can't trust that the destination have a
command-line unzip utility - Windows is weird like that, it makes zip
manipulation easy enough for a human, but not for a program.)

2) I'll also have, on my web site, a single-file download which is an
aggregation of the nine "Sources" links for the packages from which I
took those DLLs (from http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php ); libpng
isn't listed there, but it's under a different license anyway.

3) The same file that does the downloading will show a clickable URL
for the source archive, along with an explanatory note about license
requirements, saying that it's not necessary for the update.

Does that sound right?

There's one minor issue with that at the moment, which I should raise
elsewhere. The zlib "Sources" link points to
http://www.zlib.net/zlib125.zip which is 404; so for the moment, I'm
leaving it out of the bundle. (Like libpng, it's under a more
permissive license that doesn't demand I distribute source.) So I now
have five .tar.bz2, two .tar.gz, and one .tar.xz, all of which I'll be
putting together into a .zip (at least my users will have a reasonable
understanding of zip files)... but anyone who actually wants the
source should be able to handle 7-Zip or similar.

ChrisA