Re: GTK signals question.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Chris Moller <moller mollerware com> wrote:
On 03/05/14 13:52, Chris Angelico wrote:

Is there a reason you're trying to write high-level code in C?

Habit, mostly.  I've been coding in C since the early 80s and I can do it in
my sleep.  Python's okay, but I tend to think of it more as a scripting
language rather than something I want to write a 50k-line application in.
(Actually, the app I'm writing now uses Python as it's scripting
language...)  I'd never heard of Pike but, looking it up, the "interpreted"
bit makes me wonder about performance.

You're writing a GUI program, which normally means it'll be waiting
for the user most of the time. There's a lot you can do without even
nudging a CPU monitor. Interpreted languages were fairly slow a few
decades ago, but these days, the difference isn't that great - and
computers are so much faster, anyway. It's usually a good tradeoff to
save development time by spending a smidge more on an interactive
action. I mean, let's just suppose that C code is a hundred times
faster than Python (which it usually isn't, but "let's pretend", as
Alice said). In most cases, that'll mean Python will take 10ms and C
would take 0.1ms to respond to a user action - that is to say, the
difference between "immeasurably fast" and "immeasurably fast". And in
reality, the difference isn't nearly that great; if it's even ten to
one for anything other than heavy numerical computation, I'd be
amazed. And Pike's faster than Python overall, reducing the difference
further.

Happy to talk to you on- or off- list about Pike or Python. They're
both excellent languages.

PS. Has anyone else noticed that this thread is more than half by
people named Chris?

Years ago, I worked in a lab where about a third of the people were named
Ron.  Confusion reigned...

Heh, it's weird how that goes. I have a brother named Michael who's a
rail enthusiast, and one time he was car-pooling his way to some rail
event or something, and all four occupants of the car had the same
name. One was Mike, one was Mick, I can't remember who the other was,
and my brother goes by Michael, so it wasn't confusing, but it was
amusing.

I find that people named Chris are often geeks. We can have long
sub-threads on python-list between Chrises, and every list I join
seems to have at least a couple more. Rather neat, actually.

ChrisA