Re: GnomeDateEdit emits no signal on editing entry

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 11:25:27 +0000
Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

that never happened because nobody used that widget either. :-)

Sorry for the name confusion, Emmanuele (though I suspect this is not the
first time :)

I have been using gtk for many years now, and have the impression that
gtk+ use overall is in decline. Maybe those deprecations
have something to do with it.

... I think every
application exposing a date uses its own widget, and not two date
selection widgets look alike.

Which seems logical, as gnomeDateEdit is marked as deprecated, warnings abound
about not using gnomelibs, and no alternative exists. I doubt that would have
happened if a GtkDateEdit would exist. I also doubt that the diversity is a
good thing: a unified and consistent interface is important for users (and
programmers).

Just checked, Qt has a QDateTimeEdit widget, which permits manual editing,
setting format, and enabling a Calendar popup if needed. So I guess there is
a clientele for that.

Thanks once again, I'll have a look at the libegg version.

John