GnomeDateEdit emits no signal on editing entry

Hi guys & gals,

This may be common knowledge, but I didn't find any reference.

When editing the date manually (without the calendar dropdown), no
'change' signal is emitted, even after exiting the widget. I find this
rather strange - how do I detect changes?

I found an example in a tutorial, but it only connects to the
'change' signal, so it wouldn't receive those 'manual' changes
either.

Maybe I could connect to the change signal of the embedded entry,
but that would probably defeat any validation checks.

John