Re: GTK+ 3.10 released

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013, Matthias Clasen wrote:

GTK+ 3.10.0 is now available for download at:

http://download.gnome.org/sources/gtk+/3.10/

Thanks!  Just a few observations on the 3.10.0 package.

* I'm used to GTK defaulting to the X11 backend on my system, which makes sense since it has everything to support X11 and nothing to support any other backend. But when I ./configure the new package it errors out on lack of broadway support. OK, so I explicitly --disable-broadway-backend. Then it errors out on no backend selected, and I have to explicitly --enable-x11-backend. Not a big deal, but is this really intended?

* The build halts with an error if gobject-introspection is version 1.34.N. Maybe this should have a configure check? Updating to 1.38.0 fixed to the problem; not sure about 1.36.

* When running my program after updating to GTK+ 3.10 I notice that all icons in menus have disappeared. I updated to gnome-themes-standard 3.10 at the same time so I'm not sure which update is responsible for that. Is showing icons in menus in GTK possible any more? (IMO well-chosen icons for common actions can help the user to home in on the item they want better than all-text.)

Allin Cottrell