Re: ScrolledWindow, DrawingArea, and setting step-increment

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Gabriele Greco <gabriele greco darts it> wrote:
in Gypsum has barely started and I already have 50K lines; my RosMud
session currently has 300K lines of scrollback; and I've noted as an
unsolvable RosMud bug that it's unacceptably slow adding the
16,777,216th line to the buffer (because it does a naive

I think that so many lines may be a problem for GtkTextBuffer, I mean, they
are also a problem for an editor like vim :)

Okay, I got around to fiddling the current code to use
TextBuffer/TextView. If I put the TextView directly in the window, it
simply expanded to hold as much as it wants; putting it in the
ScrolledWindow means it still scrolls by partial lines, based on the
window size. There must be something I'm missing here - some way to
configure something. I'm sure it's staring me in the face and I'm just
not seeing it, somewhere, because this must be a solved problem! I
mean, maybe I'm doing the wrong thing in using a DrawingArea for text,
but text is exactly what the TextView is supposed to, well, view, so
it's logical to want to scroll by lines.

I put the change onto a dedicated branch. Here's the commit; if you
can spot some glaring error in it, I'd love to hear!

https://github.com/Rosuav/Gypsum/commit/4aafb0805c2c575029371d7c16395829463caf43

Thanks for your help Gabriele. If nothing else, I've learned a few
things about TextView along the way :)

ChrisA