Re: UUID Library for Gnome apps

Hi!

I use the libuuid library (uuid-dev and uuid-runtime packages under Ubuntu).

Regards,

Vivien

On 30 May 2013 07:37, אנטולי קרסנר <tombackton gmail com> wrote:

Hello list,

I'm writing a desktop app using Gnome technologies and I want to use
UUIDs as means of generating URIs for resources.

I found two UUID libraries: One is part of e2fsprogs, and the other one
is provided by OSSP and has a C++ binding (perfect for me because I
write in C++).

I don't mind using a C library, but I'm not sure which UUID library is
better for my app. The first one I mentioned, my whole system depends on
it. And it's part of the Linux kernel. So I'm wondering, does using it
create a dependency on Linux?

And what is the recommended UUID to use? I see two options and I don't
know how to choose. Choosing randomly would just create inconsistency,
if each module "just chooses" one of them.

regards,
Anatoly