Re: GTK+3 motion events and is_hint

This is a good question, actually I haven't used this feature since GTK+2...

I'd be curious to know the answer but here is my input anyway.

Your application doesn't do much between is_hint events, so it could
be that if you were slow handling the hint events, you might receive
events that are not 'is_hint' in between the regular 'is_hint' events.

FWIW, I don't think you should be concerned about which events are
'is_hint' or not 'is_hint'.

Rather, the hint mask traditionally prevents you from receiving too many
motion events that are queued up while your widget is processing a previous
event, and the call to gdk_event_request_motions() tells GDK that your
GdkWindow is ready to handle more motion events.

Actually, I don't see why you should be trying to handle the 'is_hint' events
any differently from the normal events (it should be enough to just call
gdk_event_request_motions() at the end of a motion-notify-event handler,
after you're done processing the event).

Cheers,
    -Tristan