Re: Invisible GtkImage

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 11:46 +0300, אנטולי קרסנר wrote:
Hey Kip,

Hey Tom.

You can try to place your image into a 1x1 GtkGrid and see if it works.
If not... hmmm... I'm trying to think of an existing Gnome app which has
scaling images. Hmmm... probably none. Scaling images (unless in
Gimp/Inkspace) to containing widget size is probably rarely done.

Ok, I tried it with GtkGrid containing the image widget with the parent
of the former being the AspectFrame. No love. It behaves the same as
without it.

Anyway, here's another idea: You can try to solve the recursive scaling
problem by not using all the available space. Try to make the image fit,
say 90% of the aspect frame. Then the image is not big enough to cause
the aspect frame to rescale (which probably would cause the recursive
scaling). You may get a little bit of screen space wasted, but if you
don't mind the 10% (maybe you can reduce it to 5% or less) it's okay.

I think that's a good idea, but I'll try that as a last resort.

So I've almost got it working. It resizes properly when I make the
window larger, but the window's width can never be made smaller
(including after maximization).

  <http://pastebin.com/q76RJ4UH>

Can you see anything broken in that?

Another idea: Image editing software usually uses a custom canvas and
draws things on it, including scaled SVG images. Maybe you can put such
a canvas in the aspect frame, possible also inside a 1x1 GtkGrid, and
scale the image within the canvas. Then, the image scaling is just a
canvas drawing operation and has no effect on the AspectFrame size, and
shouldn't cause recursive scaling.

I don't know much about the canvas. But I'll try it and get back to you.

Thank you for your help,

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred