Per-row vertical spacing in GtkTreeView

How does one obtain fine-grained control over the vertical spacing between rows in a GtkTreeViewColumn?

Obviously, there is the vertical-separator style property for the easy case, when all rows should have the same vertical spacing.

But I am unsure how to handle the case of per-row vertical spacing.

Currently, I have a workaround that involves using a combination of custom CellRenderers and CellDataFunctions in order to get the styling I am going for.

So is there an easier way to go about doing this?