modifying gtksettings on Windows: follow-up

This is in re. my posting at
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2013-June/msg00043.html

I realize that many gtk people will regard my query as infra-low priority, on the grounds that it's disreputable for an app to attempt to alter stylistic elements on an ad hoc basis -- style should be a matter for themes, not apps.

Actually, I agree that this is reasonable in general. However, it's not always right. My app is often used in a pedagogical context, and if one is demonstrating use of an application via a projector (particularly a high-res one, where the default menu font can be quite tiny) it is very handy to be able to enlarge and/or embolden the font temporarily.

Anyway, after some experimentation I can report that failure to respond to an attempt to change the GTK font at run time via gtksettings is specific to the MS-Windows theme on Windows. If I run the same code on Linux using (e.g.) the Adwaita theme (in both its gtk 2.0 and gtk 3.0 versions) my font-changing code works fine; it also works fine on Windows if I disable the MS-Windows theme; but on Windows with the MS-Windows theme enabled it is ignored (gtk 2.24.18).

It is (of course) possible that I'm missing something, but unless I hear to that effect I'll file a bug.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics