modifying gtksettings on Windows

In my GTK app I like to give users the option of setting an app-specific font, and I do this via the following sort of thing:

GtkSettings *settings;

settings = gtk_settings_get_default();
g_object_set(G_OBJECT(settings), "gtk-font-name",
             appfont, NULL);

where "appfont" is a string specified by the user via GtkFontSelectionDialog.

This works fine on Linux and it used to work OK on Windows with GTK 2.14. But I recently updated to GTK 2.24.18 in my app's package for Windows, and the above code now has no effect. I guess this has something to do with the switch that made the MS-Windows theme the default, in gtksettings.c (2011-11-01). I can see it makes sense to default to the MS-Windows theme, but how do you change the font in that case?

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics