Re: How to prevent windows to be raised at the top of the stack when clicked?

Hi, Lucas,

Vous avez écrit (you wrote:)

It's not completely satisfactory,
because for instance, when tool palettes are clicked they will raise
above the currently open dialog box.

Not exactly. Depending on the WM settings, a click may well not raise the
window. The fact is: *you* cannot prevent some windows to be raised above some
others if the user wants to, but the user may also decide that a click do not
raise the window.

You are right. I would have said "when tool palettes are clicked they *might*
raise above the currently open dialog box", depending on the WM, its version,
and a bunch of user's settings.

In other words, even if I find a way to make it work as I expect, probably
other WMs or some user settings could ruin my efforts. Uncertainty is the enemy
of consistency...

By comparison, this feature
is quite straightforward under Windows or MacOS.

Probably right. Those OSes are well known for their "I know what you need better
than you" behaviour ;)

Well, in this case it's exactly the other way round. :)

Here, the WM is doing things automatically. It decides that any clicked window
has to be raised on top (or not), because it thinks that it knows better than
me (the programmer) how to manage the application window stacking...

Regards,
Olivier
Olivier Guillion
Myriad
26 rue Michel de Montaigne
31200 Toulouse
FRANCE
http://www.myriad-online.com
Download here the latest version of our shareware programs, view the online
tutorials or get info about Myriad and its activities.