Re: How to prevent windows to be raised at the top of the stack when clicked?

Michael Cronenworth <mike cchtml com> wrote:

Is there a way to prevent a clicked window from being automatically sent to
top of the stack ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can use gtk_window_set_transient_for() to force stack ordering.

Thanks, Michael,

I already tried it, and it didn't work as expected.

To manage the stacking order properly, each window has to be set transient for
the window below it in the stack. But changing the order in this "transient
list" doesn't work as expected : sometimes windows remain at their previous Z-
order after the call. It seems that  gtk_window_set_transient_for()  is merely
designed to manage dialog boxes that open over a document window, and not to
apply changes to existing windows stack ordering.

I'm still trying to go further with this function though. So far, the only
solution I could find with this function is, when something changes in the
stack order, to delete the transient info of each and every window, then
rebuild it entirely.

It seems to work, but it's not straightforward. I'll tell here the results of
my experiments.

Regards,
Olivier

Olivier Guillion
Myriad
26 rue Michel de Montaigne
31200 Toulouse
FRANCE
http://www.myriad-online.com
Download here the latest version of our shareware programs, view the online
tutorials or get info about Myriad and its activities.