Where to put graphic elements so I can find them again

1. I have a "custom" graphic that I'm showing as a sort of a placeholder or
background in my mailing list program.

2. I see that most program-specific graphics on my computer seem to be located
in /usr/share/pixmaps.

Is it proper to put the custom graphic into /usr/share/pixmaps and just
"assume" that it will be there, i.e use an absolute path to find it from within
the program?

If so, then how does  this integrate with a makefile using a ${prefix} macro?
As soon as you change the prefix, you break the program unless you do some
really fancy work with patch as part of the make, which seems awfully
convoluted.

If not, then how do you tell a program where to find this sort of graphic?  My
best idea so far is to take argv[0] and using that as a starting point, assume
that the graphic is located in a subdirectory branched off of that path, i.e.
if the program is in /usr/local/bin then we hope the graphic will be in
 /usr/local/share/pixmaps.

Is there a better way to find a graphic background of this sort than specifying
an absolute path and hoping to find it there?