Re: learning gtk+ well: Which book to buy?

Hi again,

Oh! I remember more. Sometimes Vala implementation helped me in the past,
when I learned how to create GObject classes, interfaces, public, private
section. Vala looks like C# and might help you to understand how to make
correct GObject classes :)

Best regards,
Vlad

27 ÐÐÑÑÐ 2012 Ð. 21:26 ÐÐÐÑÐÐÐÐÑÐÐÑ Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org>ÐÐÐÐÑÐÐ:

Hi,
  I have to strongly agree with Vlad here, I think the quality of
information that
you can find in print on GTK+ pales in comparison to what you have readily
available on the internet. Of course finding the right material to read
might
be staggering at first, just toy with the apis a little, doing some
experimentation
will quickly set you on the right track.

I strongly recommend that you start with getting a grip on the GObject type
system, read the material that can be found here:
  http://developer.gnome.org/gobject/2.32/

GTK+ is basically just GObject based widgetry which deals with the GDK
backend for windowing system interaction... once you get a feel for the
main virtual methods involved on the GtkWidget class then you should
have a pretty good understanding of how GTK+ works (yes, easier said
than done... I just doubt that any book on the shelf is going to get you
there any faster than just experimenting and doing it yourself).

And as Vlad also mentioned, do take a look at some of the more simple
and/or more maintained projects source code, the source code of
Devhelp is small and readable (of course most of the work is done
by the browser embedding, just take a look at how it creates the
preferences
dialog using GtkBuilder and creates a widget class to encapsulate
the preferences module).

Cheers,
            -Tristan