how to i set hscale wigdet to -- say -- "17"?

thanks to  a great amount of help from this list , my "let the
computer speak for the speech-impaired" [AKA "VBC"] is making good
progress.  in fact, my "Options" pop-up from the menubar is almost
ready for integration.  but i still  want it to look like the
program 'gespeaker'---meaning that i want to set, say, "Pitch" to
17, "Speed" to 100", "Speed" in words/minute to a nice, slow 190. and
the "Delay" in 10ths of a second between words to 2 or 3.

i have experimented with people who suffer from a hearing loss and
some whose native language is not English, &c.   so: better to
default to a slower rate.  i want to know how to have gtk draw that
orange line from 0  to  my default starting point. gespeaker
presents a good example.  i haven't found the magic google  term[s]
to  find what gtk command i need.  can any of you help?

thanks in advance,

gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline thought org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix