activating the global accelerator map?

Hi again. I wrote a whole bunch of menu code for my app with menu bar,
menu, and menu item widgets before I realized that it is supposed to be
done with the GtkUIManager. Since I've got most of it done I don't want
to rewrite it. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to add
(activate?) the keyboard accelerators. I did one like so:

code:
----------
  gtk_accel_map_add_entry ("<gFifteen-Board>/Game/New Game",
                           'n', GDK_CONTROL_MASK);
  gtk_menu_item_set_accel_path (GTK_MENU_ITEM (gf_mi_new_game),
                                  "<gFifteen-Board>/Game/New Game");

But it doesn't seem to work in the application, nor does the shortcut
text show up next to the menu item label. I think I need to activate the
accelerators with gtk_accel_group_activate() or something, but I'm a bit
confused because I'm not even sure how to retrieve the global
accelerator map so I can work with it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

--
frigidcode.com