Re: need help in looping many times...

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:11:34AM -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:11:34 -0700
From: Michael Torrie <torriem gmail com>
Subject: Re: need help in looping many times...
To: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org

On 01/24/2012 07:27 AM, John Coppens wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to simply add an editor window to your program?
Use for example, the GtkTextView widget. You won't have to spawn
external editors, and always have the text available.
You can even implement cut/copy/paste, re-use recent text, etc.

Also, you launch the reproduction as a thread, and permit editing while
permitting edition.

Thread or process, it doesn't matter.  GTK's g_spawn_async can do the job.

As for the first, as Gary explained to me, whatever editor he uses has
to be able to expand abbreviations.  He can only type slowly, and
automatic abbreviations can speed up his typing dramatically.  He
already has a nice system in vim that works for him, so he wanted to use
that here.  GtkTextView does not have completion capabilities.  However
GtkSourceView does.  I've written a demo program for Gary that does use
GtkSourceCompletion to do the abbreviations.  Another option is to embed
a vim widget (Pida embeds gvim somehow) somehow, if he's got to remain
with vim.

        the reason for sticking with gvim or kate [which is another
        vi-like editor] or another fork-able editor--the reason is
        that i'm assuming the user cannot speak--for   w hatever
        reason--and the cleanly spawned editor would give him a
        change to reply to whomever he was talking to.

        he wouldn't have to clear the screen of his last-typed
        words:

        Example using a small laptop:

        >> hi, i'm jon.  i'm looking for a book on the computer programming
        language 'python.'

        the sales cleark says something; maybe she points somewhere.

        >> you mean at the end on the left?

        the clerk responds. offers to show jon the computer books section.

        >>  Super!  thanks.  [[jon closes his netbook and follows the clerk.  ]]
        End example.

        there are an endless number of ways this gtk app could be
        used to assist people who have trouble communicating verbally.
        it might be helpful for people recovering from strokes who
        =know= what they want to say but who's brain and vocal cords
        have temporarily lost the ability to sync up.  they may be
        able to use this application to help them remember more
        quickly.

        this may be my chance to learn python, :)  i know what i
        need to code, just not the intricacies of gtk {yet!}

        finally, altho i want to add the std menubar with [File],
        [Edit], [HElp], etc. , one major thought is simplicity.  i
        like the KISS paradigm: 'keep it simple, sir'.....  i've
        talked to the  educational One Laptop Per Child org.  their
        $100 laptop is for the non-expert.  children from grade
        school up.

        gary