Standardizing file open etc

Our 'C' program uses 'open()' and the like for dealing with disk files.  This seems to work okay on Linux but
not so well on Windows if there are (say) Greek or Russian characters in the file path.  I'm not a Linux
programmer so I assume that 'open()' on Linux must be UTF-8 aware maybe??

On Windows I'd need to use '_wopen()' in this context but that would mean having different code for Windows
and Linux.  Is there anything built into Glib that could help with this?  e.g. a function which can take a
UTF-8 encoded file path and open the file successfully, whether on Windows or Linux?  Thanks.

John