Re: is thaere a way to exit(1)?

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 04:34:32PM +0100, Stefan Sauer wrote:
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:34:32 +0100
From: Stefan Sauer <ensonic hora-obscura de>
Subject: Re: is thaere a way to exit(1)?
To: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org

On 01/15/2012 12:51 AM, Gary Kline wrote:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:09:43PM +0100, David Ne??as wrote:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:59:45AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
I finally know =where= i want to exit my gtk program, but exit
just doesn't break me out of my while() loop.  what's the magin?
exit() *does* terminate the program no matter what loop or whatever it
might be running.

So, most likely, you think your code calls exit() at some point but that
actually never happens.

The program might get stuck in the finalisation phase if some exit
handler (e.g. atexit()-registered) or finaliser gets stuck but I suppose
if you were registering such things you (a) would have told us (b) did
not wonder what happened.

Yeti

P.S.: Calling exit() while within the Gtk+ main loop is a bit harsh.
Normally one calls gtk_main_quit() and the program continues execution
after gtk_main() ??? which typically means it then reaches the end of
main() and terminates.

    you were abs correct about exit().  i moved it around and
    was able to verify that my code was doing what i had
    thought.  that puts me back to the problem of my gtk
    application going dark/dim;
This usually indicates that an application is busy. Run the app inside
gdb, break into gdb when it is gray and check the backtrace.

Stefan

        well, it =is= busy.  it's looping endlessly; but then i
        limited it to 5 loops with a for-loop.  same.  (i thought my
        programming skills were better that having to use the
        debugger, but may have to.)  before, i am going to scp
        everything over to my eee-900a that runs debian.  see if it
        runs there.  i hope i don't see smoke rising from the
        netbook :-)

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline thought org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix