GtkTextView and bidi text

How can I force GtkTextView object to use left to right rendering when I type in a character which has the
default behavior of being from a RTL language? I need this behavior when I mix some RTL characters with LTR
characters and the first character on a line is of RTL type.

The following lines seem to have no impact.

GtkTextView *view;

gtk_widget_set_direction(view, GTK_TEXT_DIR_LTR);
gtk_widget_set_default_direction(GTK_TEXT_DIR_LTR);

-Ferdinand