Replace context menu of GTK applications

Hey there!

I asked this question on another mailing list. There I got the hint to ask here, maybe you can help me!

I'm going to write my bachelor thesis on different menu types (e.g. Pie Menus). For this reason I'd like to replace the context menu of GTK applications (the menu opened by right-clicking). I don't want to recompile those applications, some kind of plugin technique would be awesome!

I thought of two possible approaches:

1. - I know it's possible to do this with the main application menu (like all the different global menus are doing it). - So here's my question: Is that possible for context menus as well? Is there an API for this purpose? If so, what's the way to go? Documentation on this topic is very sparse...

2. - Write a GTK module and try to do it with some GObject fancyness. May this work?

Best regards and thanks for your support,
Simon