GTK3 VTE

Hey all
          I am trying to convert a project from gtk2 to gtk3 using
both regular compilation and autotools, I can't seem to find much
about how to access vte. I currently type:
gcc `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-3.0 vte` -o app app.c -Wall

Is vte referred to the most recent version based on the packages
installed on my system? Or can I target a particular vte version?

I also currently use the autotools macro
AC_CHECK_LIB([vte], [main])

To find vte, but it's inconsistent with how I check for everything
else I depend on as I tend to use PKG_CHECK_MODULES but am just really
struggling to find the correct documentation to solve this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Neil